Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Versatile Challenge Book Review: Zahrah the Windseeker

Image from goodreads.com

Book Title:  Zahrah the Windseeker
Author:  Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu

My favorite line from this book was said by Papa Grip, an elder of the place Zahrah lives in.  Zahrah had a bad day at school with the other kids and is hating her dada hair.  Papa Grip goes into her room to talk to her.
“Like the vines that grow in the trees.  Like Dangerous serpents! Wild and rebellious,” he shouted, dramatically flinging his hands in the air.  He took a deep breath and smiled broadly at me, his wrinkly dark brown skin bunching around his cheeks.  “Look, child, they’re a part of you.  Accept them.  Mark my words: there’s nothing wrong with being different”  (page 4)

My favorite character in this book was Zahrah.  She can only be described as:  unique, brave, determined.

My least favorite character in this book was Ciwanke.  She is snobbish, rude, bully.

Zahrah is a young girl who was born with dada, a special hair, that is said to bring bad luck.  Her best friend is Dari, a well liked, curious boy.  When Dari gets bit by a snake in the Forbidden Greeny Jungle it is up to (at first) timid Zahrah to go back into the Jungle (where she has many adventures to test her) to find an egg that is said to be the only cure for Dari’s coma he is in from the snake bite.  I love how Zahrah sneaks away to go into the Jungle for the egg when she normally is the timid one of the two friends, but it shows what the power of true friends can make you do.

LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!  So much, that I sat down to read some of it and ended up reading until I had read the whole book in one day!  My rating is:  A - Darn great read!!!

2 comments:

  1. oh, I'm staying from your page. This sounds like a pretty good read. its funny how i chose this one first over the other until the reviews,now i think i'm liking the other the best. i'm putting this one on my list also. I also chose one or two of your challenges list. off your page I go. lol. Enjoyed reading the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I feel that way about pages I look at too. My TBR list keeps growing after I read reviews. :) This book was not a usual for me, but I am VERY glad that I picked it. My husband was at work and when he came home he asked how I was doing on my new book and I told him good, but now I have another new book I'm reading because I finished that one already. LOL, I just got so lost in it I couldn't stop reading. And being I didn't really have any super important obligations that day, I just kept going. :)

    ReplyDelete