Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Book Review: Bridge of Deaths

The Bridge of Deaths
Image from goodreads.com
Title:  Bridge of Deaths
Author:  M. C. V. Egan
Pages:  326
Publication Date:  2011
Version:  PDF format  **Was given free from the author for an honest review**
Genre:  Fiction (with a twist of non-fiction in it also)

Summary Via Goodreads.com:
"On August 15th 1939, at the brink of World War II, an English plane crashed and sunk in Danish waters. Five deaths were reported: two Standard Oil of New Jersey employees, a German Corporate Lawyer, an English member of Parliament, and a crew member for the airline. Here is a conceivable version of the events."


My Review:
This book was about a woman's journey to find her way to the truth of a matter that is very near and dear to her.  Egan wanted to tell her story in a way to share it with the readers out there.

I can safely say that this book was far outside of my reading “comfort zone”.  I do not read many historical based books.  I must say, however, that I had a decent time reading this book.  It was a book that had non-fiction as a base, but was turned into fiction by the addition of some fictional characters.  I think the fictional twist is what really made me like the book.  The informational parts were nice too though, in that I felt for the author as she searched for years to find the truth in her Grandfather’s death.  This book showed me that nothing is really as clean cut as we all hope to believe it is.  There is always an air of mystery in events and sometimes you have to dig deeper on your own to find out the whole story about something.  The mix of fiction and non-fiction was quite the clever way for the author to tell her story.  I think it gave the dynamic we, as readers who like fiction, needed to read her story.  I also feel that the book gives us all hope that no matter what it may be, a dream is something to never give up on.  The Egan never gave up on her dream of finding out the truth or for making it into something she could share with the world.  She put in the dedication we all hope to have for something at some point in our lives to make this book complete and to make her dreams reality.

In the beginning of the book though I was a bit confused.  I had a hard time figuring out what was really going on.  It just seemed to start in the thick of things and I wasn’t quite sure if I missed something or if I was not paying attention while I read or what.  After a few chapters I came to understand what was going on and after that had no problems.  So, when you pick up this book to read it, stick it out through the first little bit, it all does make sense and fall into place.  OR, maybe I just was having an off reading concentration day when I started to read it.

Though not my “usual” read, I am glad Egan approached me to read her book.  I may not be a huge non-fiction fan, but I did enjoy her book.  I loved the basis of it and why it was written and the passion you feel she had for the information as you read.  I also loved the fictional twist and the wonderful characters she added to give the book a little extra pizzazz.

4/5 Stars

This book counts toward 1,000,000 Pages Read Challenge.  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to read and give such a detailed review. I am honored and humbled by your words. I hope every bridge you cross leads to great success in your life. You made my day Angie!
    M.C.V. Egan
    (Catalina)
    http://www.thebridgeofdeaths.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. :-) You are a great author!

      Delete