Pages

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Versatile Challenge Book Review: Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice

Image from goodreads.com

Title:  Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice
Author:  Phillip Hoose
Pages:  107
Publication Date:  2009
Version:  Hardcover
Genre:  Non-Fiction


My favorite quote is from Claudette when she says, “Why am I wasting my time and two good dollars straightening my hair so I can look more white?  I went straight to the kitchen and washed it.”

Favorite person was definitely Claudette Colvin.  She was brave, strong-willed, and open-minded.

Least favorite person was actually a group of people, all those that fought against Claudette.  They were closed-minded, stubborn, and racist.

I never knew about Claudette Colvin until I picked up this very interesting book of her encounters with the law and bus company.  Claudette was just a teen when she decided she wasn’t going to take it anymore, she deserved to have a seat on the bus just as much as any white person did.  To make her point and stand her ground, she refused to give up her seat (well before Rosa Parks) and was arrested and brought to trial and charged because of it.  This book was very informative and made me wonder why more people don’t know about brave little Claudette Colvin, because they should.

B-Very Good Read

6 comments:

  1. angie, I've got to take a page from my book and title it 'Reading books from Angie blog' I already have four from your site and i'm adding this one.
    enjoyed the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I have a Kindle Fire. I got it for Christmas from my wonderful hubby! :-) He teases me all the time about my love of reading and books, but he also says I am happier if I have been reading, so he got me something to read on anytime I want to if I don't have a physical book. I really love my Kindle and never thought I would use it as much as I do.

      Delete
  3. I have one also and I thought i would not use it much but I have. I have about 114 books on their all FREE from amazon. next time i catch a few i will post on your page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE the free books from Amazon! All of mine are from there. I think I have only ever paid for one book so far, and that one was only .99. :-)

      Delete