Image from goodreads.com
Author: Duane King
Pages: 229
Publication Date: 2011
Version: Paperback (ARC copy received free through Goodreads First Reads/Giveaways)
Genre: Adult Fiction
Summary Via Goodreads.com:
"The city is ripe with primal fruit. Sammy Trevena, a man with all to gain and nothing to lose is ready to reap what the world has sown.
The body has over 206 bones, 76 organs, and thousands of tendons. All the power to save hundreds and make millions with each slice of the scalpel.
Sammy plans to paint the city red through his quest for the almighty green."
My Review:
This book is about a man, Sammy, who has had nothing buy hard knocks in his lifetime. His parents hated him and he got bullied in school. When he was just a young teen Sammy was cast away by his parents and was sent to a life on the streets fending for himself, worrying where his next meal and shelter would come from. He was too young to get a job at first so he resorted to theft to get money to buy food and what he needed in life, later living out of hotels. All he wants is to have a good life. That’s when it happens; he hears about harvesting organs/tissues/bodies for big money. Sammy does research at the local library to find out how much money is in this business and finds out a LOT of money is in it. That’s when he makes up his mind to become a harvester, but he knows it has to be on the down low and he will need a partner. Over time he finds a partner in Seth, a previously convicted criminal himself, now working as a butcher at the market. What could be more perfect than having a butcher as a partner in a body harvesting business? They hook up with a “legit” harvesting company that pays them to send “orders” they fill for them. They pay extremely well and soon Seth and Sammy are living their dreams, not struggling to eat anymore. Can an illegal act as extreme as body harvesting stay a secret? Can Sammy and Seth really stay under the radar when they are killing people to fill orders? People will never miss a prostitute or homeless person here and there will they?
From the second chapter this book had me hooked. It is something that is not only fiction for the book, but is a real problem too. As I read I found myself almost condoning why Sammy and Seth had to resort to this for money. I felt sorry for Sammy and how his life was and I could see how he would get drawn into the body harvesting idea with the promises of BIG money. It was gruesome how Sammy and Seth came together to kill and cut up people for “orders” and made me wonder how people can do it. This book was like a train wreck as they say, I just couldn’t look away. I had to keep reading to see as they got bigger in their business if they would slip up, kill the wrong person, or say something wrong to the outside world. This book was written in such a way that, even though time passed in the form of years in between some chapters, it still flowed and I had no problems what-so-ever following where the author was going. I never once thought, “what just happened” like I do in some books where the author does the same “time trick”. They story just seemed to flow like a river through the forest, easy to follow. The plot was very intriguing and the characters were easy to like, even though I kind of felt guilty for liking such gruesome men. I felt for them in a way, sorry for them that they felt this was the only way. Sammy and Seth had only each other, as having other friends could only lead to questions about their money and how they earned it. Now don’t make any mistake here, I didn’t feel for them enough to say what they did was right. The things they did to make their job look legit for where they got their money from was really amazing to read. The Harvest had wonderful description and made you go; “gasp”, when you read it. Wonderfully written!!
I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to anyone who likes a good fiction that you actually could see happen in real life too. 5 out of 5 stars!
This book counts toward the following challenges: 100 Books Read, 1,000,000 Pages Read, and A to Z Title Challenge.

No comments:
Post a Comment