Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Book Review: Club Dead

Image from goodreads.com

Title:  Club Dead
Author:  Charlaine Harris
Pages:  292
Publication Date:  2003
Version:  Paperback
Genre:  Fantasy/Mystery/Fiction

Summary Via Goodreads.com:
"Things between cocktail waitress Sookie and her vampire boyfriend Bill seem to be going excellently (apart from the small matter of him being undead) until he leaves town for a while. A long while. Bill's sinister boss Eric has an idea of where to find him, whisking her off to Jackson, Mississippi to mingle with the under-underworld at Club Dead. When she finally catches up with the errant vampire, he is in big trouble and caught in an act of serious betrayal. This raises serious doubts as to whether she should save him or start sharpening a few stakes of her own .."

My Review:
What’s a girl to do when her vampire boyfriend who has been keeping secrets from her suddenly disappears after telling her he had to go on a secret mission to complete a job?  Why should she be worried?  Well, Sookie learns real fast that she does have to worry and that maybe her relationship with her vampire boyfriend isn’t as sound as she thought it was.  Sure, they have had their problems, but what relationship doesn’t right?  Sookie’s world is turned upside down when Pam, another vampire friend of hers, comes into the bar she is working at to tell her that Bill (the said vampire boyfriend) is now missing.  Sookie has to team up with Eric (another male vampire who would love nothing more than to be Sookies new boyfriend if Bill is gone for good) and Alcide (a Werewolf shifter who has the ability to get her into the place she needs to be in to search for Bill).  Along the way she learns that Bill was not only doing a secret project, but he also had no intentions of coming back in the first place.  Bill ran into his “old flame vampire girlfriend” and had every intention of dumping Sookie to stay and be with her.  Knowing this, why should Sookie be risking her life to save Bill from the death that awaits him (the final death)?  As Sookie is trying to find where Bill is being kept and tortured she is posing as Alcide’s girlfriend.  A role Sookie wouldn’t mind having for real all the time.  After all, is it that out of the ordinary to date a werewolf when you have already been dating a vampire?  Why should she be worried about her and Bill’s relationship anyway, he wanted to leave her.  Sookie has to put all feelings aside though to try and find and rescue Bill.  She may be mad at him, but he doesn’t deserve to die because he got mixed up in bad situations.  Will Sookie get to Bill’s aide in time to save his life?  What will she do if she does?  What if Bill still wants to leave her, will she feel even more betrayed that she risked her life to save him and he leaves her anyway?

I really enjoyed this third book in the Sookie Stackhouse Series.  I just fell in love with Alcide the werewolf character.  Not going to lie, kind of am rooting for him to win over Sookie’s affections.  There were a few places in the book that had a lull, but all in all the book kept right on moving along.  I was interested enough to keep reading without having those awkward stopping points where I just didn’t want to pick the book back up.  The descriptiveness the author used in this book was amazing!  I always seemed to have a very clear picture of what was going on and I could literally “see” the book being played out in my mind.  I have seen the TV series True Blood only a few times, so I found myself making the characters look how I thought they looked from the descriptions given and NOT the actors from the TV show.  There were a few parts in the book when I thought some major romance was coming, but was a bit let down when it didn’t follow through.  That was not a bad writing bit, but a Sookie making up her mind bit.  I just was wishing she would have made up her mind in the opposite direction she went.  Tell you the truth, through much of this book I was NOT fond of Bill at all or his decisions.  I will definitely continue on reading this series.  It’s like a train wreck, can’t stop wanting to see what happens next or what is going on.  Very good read and would recommend it to anyone who has read the first part of the series or even if this is the only book you pick up.  I wouldn’t say you have to read them in order, Charlaine Harris does an AMAZING job of giving you the information you need to read her series in order, not in order, or just a book here and there.

4/5 Stars!  

This book counts toward my following challenges:  100 Book Challenge, 1,000,000 Pages Read, Mystery and Suspense Challenge, Sookie Stackhouse Reading Challenge, and TV Addict Challenge.   

No comments:

Post a Comment